Thursday, October 25, 2007

HW 24: Now go to your room!!....What room?

Do I have a room of my own? In all honesty, even it being the twenty first century, I do not believe I have a room of my own. I say this because no matter where I am there are always distractions. My own room, which one would think would be a suitable room for myself to have time to ponder, is one of the main distracting rooms I could think of. I have pictures, which hold many memories- taking me back to different instances in my life – causing me to remember the exact moment the picture was taken. I have candles- different scent giving reminiscent smells to seasons or people, “she will go […] in the spirit of fellowship into those small scented rooms” (Woolf 88.) I have music- listening to lyrics- making me think of something or someone. I don’t have a room of my own, even in my whole house. Each room has such a significant amount of memories that I would get so distracted to be in there to have time to myself. I find this frustrating, “why do I feel that there are severances and oppositions in the mind […] what does one mean by the unity of the mind? (Woolf 97) yet beautiful at the same time- because these memories could be turned into fiction. Which is what I think Woolf would want for me as a woman. I think she wants me to be a woman of freedom and imagination. Which I believe I have been given, just in a different way. I have the freedom to choose whatever room I want in the house to use for my imagination. The truth is my imagination is on a foundation of my memories. This may be a different way Woolf may have wanted me to use my opportunity of a room of my own. But I think I’m putting it to good use.

No comments: