Monday, October 22, 2007

HW 23: You've come a long way

With apologies to Virginia Woolf
What a difference. I am noticing that after reading certain posts from blogs that there is much more leisure in the air. I mean this in the most scrutinized way. How is it that over many, many years’ women are authors, and the context of written work is no longer about men and their judgmental opinions? It is remarkable to me to observe what is being written, who’s writing it, and what it is about. For instance, after leafing through such blogs as Jezebel, and Feminist blogs I’m finding that women write these blogs. I am finding these blogs are written on the matter of women. This is astounding! Coming from a time where a woman needed to “have a room of her own, let alone a quiet room or a sound proof room, was out of the question, unless her parents were exceptionally rich or very noble” (Woolf 52) Immediately I can tell that this world is more open to females and there roles. In fact, just the name of this one blog, “Feminist’s Blog” http://feministblogs.org/ happened to inform me that this blog definitely had some damage pertaining to men, and I was all for it. This blog wasn’t the only blog that had women authors and actually had articles pertaining to women. Jezebel http://jezebel.com/, another very popular blog that has to do with celebrities, sex, and politics really blew me away. I find it interesting how many years ago articles written would not even provoke subjects such as women and sex, especially in the same article. It has changed tremendously. For example in the blog Jezebel, there was a post called, “The Shenis, or, What Happens When Girls Pee Standing Up” This post gives me the extremes of both ends. No longer is society so “hush hush” on women, in fact all the posts are related to women in some way or another. While reading these posts I noticed that the topics are more open related. Taking this article I just mentioned for example, women are now written about. This article explains how women want the right to be treated like men, not only this but be able to do the same things, such as urinating while standing up, which I found quite comical. Long story short, this world has come a long way from when I was a writer. Women are authors, and can express what they want, even the fact that they want male genitals.

No comments: