Wednesday, October 3, 2007

HW 16: An A for Jezebel!

After reading both interviews with Robert Scoble and John Batelle by Kline and Burstein, I thought it would be fun to respond to option A, “Who’s following Scobles’ rules of engagement..for the blogosphere?”
I first picked to view Jezebel off of the list for “Blogs I’m Watching” to compare a few of Scoble’s 20 principles to.
After reading a few articles from Jezebel I believe this blog lives up to a few of Scoble’s principles. For example it is very easy to see that Jezebel posts fast on both good and bad news. One can see this on their site because they have many positive and negative articles. There are articles on Brittney Spears and her children, posts on new magazines coming out, etc. It just has the lastest news, whether it disturbing (such as the article on abortion) or funny (drunk women being arrested and flashing police officers.) Another principle Jezebel follows from the 20 is having a thick skin. This means not to be too offended when people say bad things about the site, or what you’re writing on. Many people write negative comments about the posts because there are so many people in this world with many many different opinions. An additional principle Jezebel follows is using a human voice. All the posts are easy to understand and they don’t get ahead of themselves. They aren’t too “fancy” and you know “lawyers and PR professionals [didn’t] cleanse [there] speech” (Kline and Burstein 133). The posts are put up quick; they are concise, funny, and to the point. Lastly I’d like to point out that Jezebel has kept the same url which helps them keep their regular readership which is another one of Scoble’s 20 principles.
I am not completely positive on where Jezebel might not be following some of the 20 principles, but if I were to take an educated guess, I’m sure they aren’t telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Obviously this blog is about gossip, and gossip is never true. I’m sure there is accurate information, and posts based on “the talk around the town” but in my own opinion I can only imagine that all the posts on Jezebel are telling the complete truth. My last assumption about Jezebel not following one of the 20 Scoble principles would be linking to their competitors and saying nice things about them. I haven’t seen anywhere on the site where they’ve linked to their competitors, and this is why I came to the conclusion that that is one of the principles they don’t follow.I believe these principles of the Corporate Weblog manifesto are applicable to Jezebel, most definitely. I definitely don’t think Jezebel should be following different standards. They know how to catch the attention of the reader and keep it. They do very well! :)

No comments: