Friday, November 2, 2007

HW 28: Open Letter to Riverbend

Dear Riverbend,

I must say that when I was first assigned to read this book, I had no idea what it was or what it was about. It was only until I read the introduction and foreword that I realized that this book was filled with your blog entries. I then knew it was going to be a captivating read and that I knew I was going to be and stay interested in what you have to say. A couple of your entries really caught my attention, and some of them I have a couple questions on. I was wondering if you found it almost frustrating at the fact that you have this new talent to recognize if the sound of bullets from a distance are American or Klashnikov, that you can tell how far away they are, if you can tell if it’s “them” or “us”, if it’s a pistol or a machine gun, and if it’s a tank or an armored vehicle? I know that if any of that chaos was going on here, we wouldn’t be able to recognize…Well, not at least the first few months. This new talent of yours seems to be helpful, but if I were you I would almost be frustrated at the fact that I would know this!
In one of your blogs titled, “Setting the Record Straight” (p 13) I found it disturbing that someone would call you a spoiled brat! Why on earth would something think you would be spoiled?! I would be so frustrated if I were you. After all those instances that you listed what you’ve been through and why you hated the soldiers at those specific times, In my opinion, all the power to you for not hating them in general. I would be so resentful of someone if they did all those things, for the rest of my life. You should be respected because you sympathize fore the soldiers, your pity for them, your hopeless feeling for them, you feeling terrible for them. All these things you have said as to why you feel for them. You are far from a spoiled brat who is bias.
I was wondering if you have gotten into any trouble as far as writing a blog? Is there anyone against you writing about what’s going on where you live and how you feel? I know how you feel, not wanting to give you personal information away…That could totally get you in trouble, as you explain in your blog entry, “About Riverbend” on page 20. I don’t know why people would ask for your personal information, if anything those people who want it are probably sketchy and WANT to get you in trouble!
My last question I have for you is about your blog entry, “Opposite direction” on page 30. I felt this entry was somewhat all over the place. You first explained how it was a gloomy day and how you and your family were all gathered around, and while watching the news you saw that the Red Cross had been taken out of your area. First of all, I just wanted to say I’m sorry for your frustration, I know you need them. What is the status on that now? However, after you mentioned this you mentioned your neighbor coming over and calling out to your brother telling him to watch a program that takes up political issues. Long story short… I was just wondering what your neighbor thought it was a big deal for? And why did he only tell your brother? Also, I like how in the end of your post you explain that there is a middle stance; you don’t have to be for or against Bush, which is what he says. I agree, I’m not for or against, I’m in the middle. Sometimes it’s hard to decide.
I like reading your entries, I am learning more about the war and what is going on in Iraq. I’m sorry you have to suffer from the trauma and I hope everything clears up soon. Praying for ya,Emily

No comments: