Thursday, September 13, 2007

HW 6: Starting The Big Project

My top interests for the semester long project are chat rooms and text chat, instant messaging, and social networking services. I chose these three because they interest me the most. I think I’m most interested in these because I am involved in these three so I think it will be easier to find information and relate to what I’m studying. I also already see empowerment and disempowerment through these three topics. My number one choice would be social networking services because being involved in social networks such as facebook and myspace, I see a lot of girls out there who are either empowering themselves or putting themselves down, through disrespecting their bodies. This is very discouraging to see. I hope I have the right idea as to this semester long project because I would like to research how these girls put themselves out there the way they do in pictures, describing themselves, and personal information to complete strangers over the web. This is what I’d like to research. However I believe I could study the same through instant messaging and how bullying can affect these girls, along with chat rooms and text chat.

1 comment:

Tracy Mendham said...

Emily, sounds like a great topic. The next step will be investigating how girls use Facebook and other social networks. You could look for research on this and perhaps do some observation of your own, and perhaps interview girls and women about their use of Facebook, etc.